Monday, February 26, 2018

Virtual Reality and Values


        As I have gotten to be older (and at 21, I do consider myself old), I have started to realize the connection between my own use of my time and what I value. In fact, I have decided that the use of time determines the value of something in a person’s life.  When I was younger, I thought that volleyball was very important to me. I spent all of my free time doing camps and clinics, practicing with my team, and even practicing with a private coach who was supposed to help me be a better player.  After a couple of years, I began to notice a change in m behavior.  I was irritable most of the time, pushing my friends and teammates away. It was especially bad when I was playing volleyball- I was hard on myself, becoming enraged over every mistake that I made.  Because so much of my life was still dedicated to volleyball, the negative impact on my attitude was seen in all aspects of my life.  My parents worried about my health, my mental health became less stable, and my friends became more distant.  When this all happened to me at the same time, I realized that I was no longer happy doing what I had dedicated so many hours of my life to.  Not being happy doing those things made my life miserable; I was using my time for something I did not care about, and it made the values I expressed to others unclear. 
            Since I have gotten to college, I have changed the way in which I understand my values.  I realized that, once I stopped valuing something that was distracting me from my own personal development, I became a happier and more fulfilled person. I began to see that the things I valued in life were education and supportive, positive relationships.  As I began to focus more on continuing my own education, I realized that I felt like I was at peace while working in schools.  This led to me dedicating more of my time in schools: I did service for fun during my freshman and sophomore years, and then continued with field experience for education classes once I had declared my minor.  Being able to work with students and actually teach has given me a sense of purpose and happiness that I never would have dreamed of before.  When I began to use my time to do something that I truly valued and enjoyed, my quality of life improved immensely.
            I believe that Ready Player One provides an interesting look at the manner in which people spend their time affects their lives.  A fantastic, albeit crude, example of this comes from I-r0k.  He’s a jerk who tries to seem like a seasoned OASIS player when his skills are actually lacking.  He tells Aech and Wade, “If I didn’t spend so much time offline, getting laid, I’d probably know just as much worthless shit as you two do” (Cline 45). A quintessential comeback of a man who has no true argument, I-r0k illustrates the manner in which he tries to act like he values his time.  While he claims that he spends a large amount of his time having sex, this is mostly done to make it appear like he values some sort of real world relationship over his ability to play video games well.  However, the fact that this statement is being made in a defensive manner, combined with Wade’s observations of I-r0k being a poseur, reveals that this is more of a false claim.  In reality, he likely values videogames as much as the other gunters, but he lacks the skills to make his efforts align with his values.
            Another example of the connection between values and the use of time comes from Wade when he moves into his apartment in Columbus and does not leave for months on end.  He says, “The hour or so after I first woke up was my least favorite part of each day, because I spent it in the real world…The sight of my tiny one-room apartment, my immersion rig, or my reflection in the mirror—they all served as a harsh reminder that the world I spent my days in was not, in fact, the real one” (195).  Since childhood, Wade has been immersed in the virtual reality of the OASIS, but he has been acutely aware of the fact that it is not the true, devastated world that he was born into.  Now that the hunt has given a way to get out of his cruel reality with riches beyond the imagination, he has chosen to have the OASIS become the reality he truly values.  He dedicates all of his free time to searching for the egg and the keys, blocking out the outside world.  The fact that he is disappointed when he is forced to face reality shows how his values do not currently align with the reality he is placed in, so he works hard to be part of a different one that gives him the chance of a future.

No comments:

Post a Comment