Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Mononucleosis and Martians


The last three weeks of my life have been a completely new, almost surreal experience for me.  When I got back to campus after my semester abroad, something felt “off.” At first, I thought that it had something to do with the fact that I had not been on campus since I led summer orientation in June.  Seeing that the world of campus had continued to move forward while I was gone despite the feeling that I had never left, was a bit disorienting.  The world seemed to be moving at a different pace than what I was used to.  I felt like I was moving slowly through water while I walked across campus, while the familiar transformed into the unfamiliar.  The first week back on campus moved past me in a blur.  I thought this was just a part of adjusting back to life in America after spending an extended period of time in a different country.
            The second week back on campus did not make me feel like I was adjusting well.  The days seemed simultaneously endless and too short.  I was dealing with constant headaches that made my classes seem to last forever.  At the same time, I would get home from my classes and feel like it was late at night and time to go to bed, even though it was only 7 p.m.!  I was cutting my days short, going to bed hours earlier than I normally would in hopes of getting the headaches to stop.  I was trying to use my time constructively, but this just led to more confusion when I did not get any better, and the hours continued to feel drawn out by my pain.
            The third week gave me answers.  As my throat began to close up, I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with mono.  This is the most frustrating diagnosis, because the only cure appears to be time.  I am left waiting for my health to return to normal, and the wait has been incredibly frustrating.  Time has continued to be a strange experience for me.  As I have had to spend my days resting and doing school work, I have been mostly isolated from socializing.  Because I am not really able to spend a lot of time with my friends, the days have dragged on and felt like weeks.  My own personal perception of time has not felt normal in weeks, and most of that is due to the circumstances of my illness.
            While reading The Martian, one line rang true with me after my three weeks of illness and self-imposed isolation.  Mark’s one log entry is punctuated with, “After all, I’ve got nothing but time” (40).  This quote really resonated with me after the experience I had with being sick for so long.  Because I had to remove socializing from my life for a bit so that I could recover, I was left with a lot of time that was not being used.  Like Mark, I had nothing but time as I laid on the couch and hoped that my health would return.  Unlike Mark, I am not completely isolated on a planet where people have presumed I am dead.  Time in Mark’s situation, however, was still different than the time that I had.  For him, time means survival.  He has lost everything else in his life because he is presumed dead, but he is still left with time.  This connects back to the Martin Luther King Jr. reading from last week that states that time is a neutral force in the world.  In Mark’s situation, he uses it constructively.  He spends hours working towards building up his indoor farm and calculating what he needs to be able to survive.  More importantly, every hour that he stays alive gets him one step closer to being rescued.  In a situation like this, I would imagine that his awareness of the world around him functions differently than he would have if he was living a normal life on Earth.  His thoughts further show the importance of using his time constructively. He notes in the log, “All that work was great for my morale. It gave me something to do. But after things settled down a bit, and I had dinner while listening to Johanssen’s Beatles music collection, I got depressed again” (17). When Mark is using his time constructively, he is able to feel like he has something to live for.  Work prevents him from dwelling on the desperation of his situation.  Being left with empty time allows the more depressed thoughts to enter his mind.  The constructive use of his time allows Mark to move forward towards without being weighed down by the possibilities of death. 
            Being left with hours of free time can alter the way that one perceives time.  In the case of my illness, I have been left alone for hours on end, making the days drag out to feel like weeks.  Being isolated for a few days made the experience of being sick made my sense of time warp, and time seemed to be the only powerful force in my life at the time.  For Mark, time also consumes his existence, but it is even more important for him.  Time means survival, and it must be used properly to prevent him from falling into a dark place where he loses his hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment