Monday, April 9, 2018

Our Baltimore


The Beautiful Ghetto surprised me.  I was not expecting to get that much from a book filled with pictures, without specific context.  I had heard of the book and lived in Baltimore during the Freddie Gray Uprising, but also did not know much of the context.  Just as they said in the introductory essays, I, despite living twenty minutes from where the riots were, was just as removed from the action as most of the rest of the country.
            Some of this separation was probably little to no family ties to the city. From my parents, I inherited their natural distance from the city.  It was only since living on my own over the past few years that I have grown ever increasingly connected to my home city. In reading this collection of essays and photos, one specific passage stood out for me as a born-again Baltimorean.
            My Baltimore, is a short essay about Devin’s mother’s changing experience of Baltimore throughout the years. I enjoyed the changing perspective of the gloriously classy 70’s to the crack-troubled 80’s concluding with a strong outlook for the 90’s.  It is convenient that the 90’s is where my limited experience begins to slightly fill in the mystery left at the end of Allen-Kearney’s essay.
            The first decade sets up the scene for life in the Baltimore 70’s.  Business is booming, people who are struggling are able to get onto their feet quickly, and neighborhoods are safe. Gail describes even people who are conventionally thought of as criminals and thugs as being classy folks, working to better their lives.  The drug dealers see their business as merely a stepping stone towards a better life. In this decade, life was relaxed, and police were friendly, neighborly.
            The 80’s on the other hand were drastically different. People began dying in the streets, police became more unfriendly, and crack-cocaine became a city-wide epidemic. All the while, help to those struggling in Baltimore’s neighborhoods was eliminated.  Overall city-life was on the decline as those who were able fled to the county, and many of those who were stuck turned to lives of crime and addiction.  It is almost as if in the year 1980, Baltimore’s essence was forgotten.  The result of this is Allen-Kearney wondering in the early 90’s wondering what the future has in store for Baltimore, and today, much of the Baltimore metro has forgotten the city as well.
            This is where my ‘Baltimore story’ picks up. Born in the late 90’s in a Baltimore suburb, born to people not from anywhere remotely near our city.  Like much of my neighbors, we had forgotten the struggles of our metropolis down the road and lived where many other people had moved to from the city, unknowingly sentencing those who remained to hardships.  All I knew about the city during this time was that when my parents were moving to Baltimore, the mansions along Charles St. and University Parkway were in the relatively cheap $300k price range. It was not until high school that I began to learn more about where I had grown up; Calvert Hall did its job and opened my eyes and heart to my city.  Fast forward to today, living in the actual city-proper, I have the opportunity to explore the city more and shape my own experience in it. Still, admittedly, this is a small experience so far, but this reading has reinvigorated my drive to continue exploring the city and getting to know it as I arguably should have years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment