Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Hope for the Next Generation


            In Hamilton: The Revolution, main characters Aaron Burr and Alexander Hamilton each welcome their first child into the world amidst war. The two share common trains of thought in the fact that they share hopes for the country that they work to create. They work to improve and build the country with hopes that their children can come of age with it. The comment allowed for insight into the futuristic thought in relation to time that these two share. While they both work in the present, they do so with sights set on their future goals and implications.
            While contemplating the mindset of these two characters, my work at Tunbridge quickly came to mind. No, I am not a soldier in the Revolutionary War era; and no, the children of Tunbridge are not my own. However, I do feel as if I hold some of the similar considerations in regards to time that they did. Each trip to Tunbridge reminds me of the generation that follows my own. I have grown to build a relationship with the kids who I have had the pleasure of working with over this semester. As these relationships have grown, so too has my consideration for the futures of the children.
            Given the current political climate that our country faces, I cannot help but think of what is in store for the children of the school. While I myself have not yet reached an age to feel the full ramifications of political decisions such as tax reform or medicare, I understand that the decisions of the members of my generation have great implications on the lives of these students who will follow. Much like Burr and Hamilton were hopeful for the country that their children will call home, so too am I for that of my successors. Amidst much uncertainty and turmoil, our country has taken steps towards change for the better in the past few weeks. Movements such as the Walk for Life against gun violence have allowed major issues to be brought to the forefront of our minds. Although our country surely is not there yet, these are positive steps.
            This connection has drawn my attention to my recent contemplation of time. The service time that I have invested at Tunbridge hopefully will transpire over time into something positive. I have noticed the way that many of the children look up to me, both literally and physically. It is my hope that my actions in my role as a volunteer, and my leadership that I can offer them will leave an impact of some sort on them. Although I am not a hero to these children, I do hope that I am able to impact them in a positive manner that will last a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment